Friday, June 21, 2013

Time off from technology....kind of.

Okay, I was going to join Crunchy Betty in her three days of no technology, only I was going to make it a week.  Then she posted this.  Then I started thinking about how many ways I use technology in my life right now.  I don't mean television.  My only access to TV is Netflix.  I watch in the evening after the kids go to bed, or while sewing.  I watch movies with the kids during the day.  I use DVD's to exercise, those I don't want to give up, I am on a roll!  There is also that app on my phone with which I monitor my caloric intake and my output.  There is also this yoga app I use.  Plus, I don't listen to music without an iPod anymore, and a week without music is just unthinkable. 

Are you getting the picture?  When it came down to it though the one thing I don't see myself giving up for a week....MY HEART RATE MONITOR!  I was horrified by the thought.  Panic began to ensue as I tried to figure out how to determine whether or not I was in zone 2 for a minimum of 30 minutes.  What would I do!?

After I could breathe again, I decided to compromise.  I will use my healthy apps, they are HELPFUL!  I will use my heart rate monitor, it is my motivator.  It gives me goals that I feel compelled to reach.  I will still watch a movie with the girls, but I don't have to watch my shows, and we can limit it to one a day.  We will read books.  If I have my way we will read LOTS of books, or at least I will.  Which reminds me of that one piece of technology required to do some of this, my KINDLE!

It is finally occurring to me that I am getting older and I am really not all up on everything.  You know the music scene, the latest tech.  This isn't just because I am older it is because of how we have decided to live.  We don't listen to the radio (I do podcasts), we don't watch television unless it is on Netflix and commercial free.  I live in a child safe world.  A world where my child is not ignorant of advertising, but is not bombarded by it, and hopefully does not feel she has to live up to some strange beauty ideal.

So this next week, I won't be on the computer.  I won't play games on my phone, and I will be thoughtful before using technology that tunes me out from the world.  I will be conscious of my family, myself, and my world.  I will be in the moment and try to live and fully feel each moment coming back to this world refreshed and likely appreciative of its convenience in ways I am currently not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment