Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vegetable Risotto

Some of the things I have managed to keep alive are my herbs.  While my oregano was decimated by bugs, and my cilantro went crazy the others are thriving, even the basil.  So the other night when making vegetable risotto I gathered some yumminess.  Thyme, parsley, and mint, and it was delightful, light and gone quickly!

The recipe is from Fresh Meals.  I modified a bit to make it non-dairy

8 Cups of Vegetable Broth
1 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons soy free Earth Balance
Onion to taste (I don't use as much as the recipe)
Garlic to taste
2 cups of arborio rice
1 cup of frozen peas
1 small bunch of asparagus, sliced into small pieces
1 cup of sugar snap peas, sliced into small pieces
1 medium red bell pepper
1 bunch of spinach sliced into ribbons
1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme (mine is lemon thyme)
1 Tablespoon fresh Mint, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped Italian Parsley

warm your broth in another pan and have it on low until used up.
In a large skillet heat the oil and butter.  Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is transparent.  Add the rice stirring until it is coated with oil and butter, cook for five minutes.  Beginning adding the broth one cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed, then adding more.  Add the peas, asparagus, snap peas, and red pepper.  Continue adding broth and stirring.  Once all broth is absorbed add the herbs, remove from heat and stir.  Eat and enjoy! 

Big L did not like this, little l was less than impressed, but my loving husband and I were quite content! 

No comments:

Post a Comment