Thursday, May 30, 2013

FINALLY starting to quilt

Just to give you an idea of the size of this quilt....the king size batting fits, and there is fabric over the side.  I have had this put together and ready to go for some time, I just hadn't taken the time to spray adhesive my layers and get to quilting.  Partly because of the anxiety I have been feeling over having this huge quilt on my little machine.  The other night I told myself no more excuses, had the hubby help me clean the garage floor, lay it out flat, spray, layer, spray layer.  Then I ironed, and started quilting.   

 Before starting I loaded 10 bobbins.  Unfortunately I think I will need 20-30 more.  I ran out of thread the other night, but I am ready, and getting better at using the free motion foot, so that is a plus!
 I stitched all my vertical ditches.  Then started quilting on the side.  I didn't have a firm plan for patterns, I have just been doing what I can with hearts and flowers.  I only got the border on one side quilted before I ran out of thread, but It looks decent, and feels great. 
My attempt at connected hearts.  It doesn't look too shabby for a first.  I can't believe I never bought the free motion foot attachment before.  I think I am in love.  Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a finished quilt to show you, then I will also show the very small machine I am doing this on.  One thing, I never knew it took so much upper body strength to quilt this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment