Monday, May 6, 2013

A Chocolate Phineas and Ferb allergy friendly cake!

So this weekend was the birthday party for Big L.  Eight years old.  Hard for this mama to believe she is already 8, but she is growing into such a loving and responsible young lady I have no complaints!

Friday I set out to make the cake for our Saturday morning Phineas and Ferb Spa Party.  That's right, we combined Phineas and Ferb with a spa day.  Jealous?  So my big L.  The girls all put on avocado honey masks, placed cucumbers on their eyes, painted nails, did their hair, then ate healthy snacks, chocolate cake, and banana chocolate chip rice cream (homemade). 

Here is the link for the recipe I used: One bowl chocolate cake III.

Here is my modification:

2 Cups Organic Cane Sugar
1 3/4 Cup King Arthur Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons applesauce (unsweetened)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Cup rice milk
1/2 cup safflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

The attractiveness of this recipe include the one bowl fact, plus it uses cocoa powder, not chocolate squares.   I was able to mix it up before the two year old got into something she wasn't supposed to be in.  Mix everything together up to the applesauce.  Then put everything else in and use your mixer to mix for a couple minutes.  It is a VERY runny batter, but the cake cooks up nicely.  I actually doubled this and made two 13x9 cakes.  (It was a big party.)

Decorate as you choose!


I purchased the Phineas and Ferb portion online.  It has the tree trunk, and Phineas and Ferb, if you pull down a branch, Perry peaks out from behind the tree.  I think it turned out rather well, if I do say so myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment