Thursday, May 2, 2013

Corn Tortillas

Last week I decided to get off my lazy bum and make my own tortillas, I have been saying I am going to do this forever, but I never "have time".  Well, phooey on that.  It really doesn't take that much time!

 The hardest part is getting your dough right.  I mixed it up and let it rest for about 30 minutes.  Then it was off to the tortilla press.  I have a light weight press that I am not happy with.  I really need to break down and buy the cast iron version.  Mine were a little thicker than everyone liked, but I liked them!  I made some chicken tortilla soup to throw them into and it was YUMMY!
 I had a little extra oil in my pan which made my first tortillas a little fried instead of cooked.

However by the end I just had nice warm corn tortillas that were very good.  I don't ever want to buy store tortillas again, but Big L was not as big of a fan, so I will see how long they will put up with me.  Next up I will try flour tortillas, although that will have to wait until I am done with my diet, because I will want to eat them.  Speaking of diet, I am back on my diet as of Monday.  I lost 60 pounds so far, about 30 more to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment