Thursday, April 25, 2013

Soap? Coconut Allergy?

I don't like to buy regular old soap or kids body wash at the store for my kids.  I want something natural.  Something the EWG (Environmental Working Group) doesn't list as toxic.  This is harder to do when your child is allergic to coconut, because it seems like EVERYTHING has coconut oil in it. 

To be honest since she was a wee babe Big L has been using California Baby Sensitive Shampoo/Body Wash and Conditioner.  I know it has coconut oil in it.  It didn't really bother her, and it was not a large portion, at least that is what I tell myself.  However, it is EXPENSIVE!  Can you say 120-150 dollars a year on ONE child's shampoo/conditioner/body wash needs. 

Well, I have had enough.  I was searching the internet for soap recipes and came across this:

DIY 100% Olive Oil Castile Soap

Well praise the heavens and HALLELUJAH!  I have read about and wanted to replace all of our soap with castile soap, but EVERY one in the store has SOMETHING my daughter/s are allergic to.  This was an awesome find. 

Here is how I did it.  First, I did not use my crock pot, just a stock pot.  I also wrote everything down because my computer is not open to printing web page information in a nice matter. 
You need to have distilled water, a bar of kiss my face pure olive oil soap and something to make it in.  
 I cut the soap into thin slices. 
 Placed it in four cups of distilled water. 
 Then waited......stirred.....and waited.....
until, voila, I had liquid soap safe for my kids, and all natural! 

I am quite the happy mommy now.  I have all sorts of plans for this soap, from hand soap, to dish soap, to shampoo, to laundry detergent, and to a bathroom cleaner. 

I will be sharing more, but this was the first step.  Next time though I am bypassing the pot.  I store things in pickle jars, or other jars, so I will be just putting the soap (2 bars) and water (8 cups) in the jar, waiting, stirring and waiting, then it is where I need it to be!

This was SUPER simple.  I have already used a good portion of it, and have plans for more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment