Friday, April 19, 2013

Allergy friendly lip gloss

I have a kid with crazy allergies.  All nuts (including almond) and COCONUT.  It is hard, if not impossible to find a natural lotion without almond oil or coconut.  Don't get me started on lip balm or lip gloss. 

After searching for years it finally dawned on me, after seeing a friend blog, that I could actually make this stuff myself.  To be honest, it just never occurred to me.  When I was working it would have been difficult, but now it is doable. 

A few weekends ago big L and I decided to test run the lip gloss we are going to give away at her spa birthday party.  I figured while I was at it I might as well try some body butter and make a face moisturizer as well.  Those will be in later posts. 

First up: 
Vanilla Lip Gloss
recipe modified from the book Eco Beauty
1 teaspoon grated beeswax
1 teaspoon cocoa butter (we substituted, the original recipe calls for coconut oil)
1/8 teaspoon vitamin E oil
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Basically you melt your beeswax and cocoa butter in a hot water bath. 
 The cocoa butter melted fairly quickly, the beeswax not so much.  I don't think the kids or I have the patience to wait at the party, so I am going to make a big batch and have big L help me design a label for her lip gloss party favor.  She liked it though.  Tip, when you add the vitamin E and vanilla be ready to pour immediately into container, otherwise it will cool off to quick.  I am hoping that by using my double boiler I won't have the problem when we do it again. 


The lip glass is in front.  Cute container

No comments:

Post a Comment