Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Homemade Yogurt

I have been experimenting with the homemade yogurt.  First, I only like it Greek.  Get rid of that whey please, it does not like me!  Then there is the type of milk used.  At first I only used whole milk, because that is what my milk drinkers drink.  I, however, do NOT need the extra fat in my diet, so I recently switched to non-fat.  It takes longer in the incubator (my term for the yogurt maker), but it tastes fine to me.  The sad thing is to make full 8 oz servings (that is a full serving to me) I only end up with about 5 servings from eight cups, sometimes four.  Once all of the whey is drained away you are left with less, so I am trying to stay on top of how frequently I should be making this stuff!  I am still trying to adjust my planning so I am not asleep when the yogurt is ready to be strained!  This is not something you just decide to make, you have to know what you are going to be doing in 12 hours, a little planning is necessary.

I am still playing around with my additions.  I know you see my white chocolate chips up there.  Even using those as my sweetener and adding some dried fruit I am under in sugar count compared with most store bought yogurts.  That is just crazy!  I am still working my sugar count lower, so we will see how it goes.  I have also been adding some flax seed for good fats and fiber.  I think it is a yummy lunch, and my calorie count for lunch if I only eat this is under 300.  Not too shabby!

Now if I could just become better at anticipating when my husband and I will finish off the yogurt so that I can not run out..... Then I have to figure out how to do this with rice milk, because Big L wants some yogurt.....argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment