Monday, August 19, 2013

Doughnut Muffins-My latest attempt at feeding a picky eater



If you follow my blog you know that my daughter is a PICKY eater.  Understandably so, due to her allergies she likes to stick with foods she knows and loves.  Unfortunately, she gets tired of these foods at times and I have to find something new.

Blueberry muffins were a hit with the adults in the house, but NOT the kids.  Big L actually said she liked the muffins, just not the blueberries.  WHAT?!?!?!?  I could not understand.  BLEW MY MIND!

So, I dove into my piles of recipes that I have saved and clipped to see if I could find a plain muffin recipe that everyone could live with.  Thankfully King Arthur Flour sent me a recipe for Doughnut Muffins with my last flour order.  For the record, I have no sponsors and receive no money from companies I mention.  I just like KAF flour.  Of course, to make this recipe I had to change it up a bit.

Doughnut Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1/4 cup Soy Free Earth Balance
1/4 cup Safflower Oil
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
6 Tablespoons unsweetened natural applesauce
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Organic King Arthur Whole White Wheat Flour
2 scoops NOW unflavored Pea Protein powder
1 cup rice milk

TOPPING
3 Tablespoons of soy free earth balance
3 Tablespoons of cinnamon sugar (I used 2 tablespoons cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar, but I LOVE cinnamon)

Beat the butter, oil and sugars until smooth.  Add the applesauce and baking powder.  Add in the baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.

Stir the flour and pea protein in alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.  Mix until well combined.  Spoon the batter into the muffins cups, filling almost to the top.  Bake at 425 for at least 17 minutes.  You can tell they are done when a cake tester comes out of the middle of the muffin clean.

Let them cool for a bit and prepare the topping.  Brush the top of the muffins with butter then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix.  Or do like I did mix it all together and paint it on top.  I left some muffins with the topping because Big L still refuses to like cinnamon.

They taste better to me warm, but Big L will eat them right out of the fridge.  They lasted through the school week in the fridge for me.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment