Monday, April 16, 2012

Tamales

I have lived in the southwest all my life (-7).  Every year on christmas eve we would have tamales.  Family tradition.  My family never makes tamales though, it was always something you went to the local Mexican market for.  I love tamales, and would rather have them more than once a year.  It is hard to find a good vegetarian tamale.  Usually you have to live with corn and green chili, or cheese. 

I have had a cookbook with a tamale recipe that I have been meaning to try for a long time, but in my mind all I can remember is everyone saying how hard it was, so I kept putting it off. 

I suppose if you are making more than a dozen it would be a lot of work, but we made a dozen, and it was fun and easy.  They even turned out right, and after a long steam were beautiful pockets of black bean, green chili and cheese goodness. 


I like that by making my own I could choose the middle ingredients, and next time I may switch it up and add something else. 

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment