Monday, June 25, 2012

Rags and splinters

I have been successfully using very few paper towels for years now, and it has occurred to me that I should probably just give them up when we run out this time.  About a year ago, I bought some new dish towels.  My old ones were worn, and stained, and I was just tired of looking at them.  Plus my rag bin was small and didn't have very many "good" rags.

However, when I switched them all out, I realized, I had a LOT of rags.  I had no were to put them either, because my little bin for rags was just that, LITTLE.

I browsed Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule and found a cute idea for a rag bag.  However, I didn't want to use any of my fabric, it was too nice for a rag bag that is hidden in the closet, and I didn't want any thing frilly.  It needed to be sturdy.  My family can be a bit rough on things, and I want the kids to be able to grab things out of this bag without worrying they will rip something and I will have to find time to fix it.

So I made two bags.  One for little rags, and one for big rags (messes are different sizes you know).  For the big one I sewed two towels together.  Then I took an old towel that I hated, and cut it up to make handles.  Viola, it was done.  The smaller one was even easier.  I took one towel folded it in half, sewed up the sides, put on a handle, and I was done.

They might not be much to look at, but they do the job, and I have already told all of my loving family that I have given up on having a house that is nicely decorated.  I will live the rest of my life with random clutter and (at least for another year or so) most of my furniture and other non kid friendly items placed out of the way or in other odd places.  As an aside, the reason a lot of my furniture is not where it should be is little l likes to chew on wood.  I am sure that the paints and stains are not the best thing for a baby.  We hope that she will outgrow this, before she ends up with splinters in her gums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment