Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Let's go picnic....

Well, maybe no picnics here anytime soon.  It is too hot to be outside in my opinion. We have been taking comfort in our pool, and enjoying all the shade on our patio, but the temperature is moving up quick, and I hate being hot. 

However, I have been meaning to make this project for some time, so I just sat down and did it.  I took the idea and instructions from Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule.  I am finding that I am going to be doing more of the projects from this book than I originally thought, but more on that as they are completed. 

I wanted to make the beach blanket as she called it so I looked around.  I wanted it to be a bit thick, because often grass is damp here from being watered.  I didn't have an old yucky comforter so I hit the Goodwill.  Something I honestly am not a fan of.  However, I didn't want to spend a lot on something that would only be seen when the blanket was all rolled up.  I found a polyester nightmare, that is nice, and put a sheet on top that was a bit old and worn in, but not worn out like its fitted partner.  That was boring, and not what the book asked for, so I stitched some pretty fabrics in as random of a pattern as I am capable of, and this is what I got.

Yucky backing (it really isn't that bad) folded over cute top.

Sewn on tie that will never get lost and always be there to make this a nice portable package. 

The top, like I said, random is hard for me.  
I will admit to not following directions.  After the bias tape fiasco with L's quilt, I did the sew three sides, flip it right side out and finish the top method.  Bias tape was not an option.  It turned out pretty well.  The girls have already eaten atop its loveliness and declared it a success, and apparently a good stand in for a napkin. 

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment