Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why I don't make candy....often

First of all I shouldn't make candy because I eat too much while making it.  Sad but true.  Secondly, I don't have the patience for candy, or something or other.....

This is what I have.....
See, not so bad yet.  They are kind of the same size, and mostly ball shaped.

ah heck.....

I started out okay.  They tasted divine, they were nice little balls, then it came time for dipping, and I FAILED!!!! I am going to take a self-imposed candy making break for at least two years, unless someone can tell me an easier way to dip!

By the way, what are these yummy balls of divine?  My mom calls them Martha Washington Bon-Bons.  I looked that up online, because her directions are a bit sketchy, and discovered that most people do not put cherries in their Martha Washington Bon-Bons.  Who knew? 
So here is our family recipe:

2 lbs powdered sugar
7 oz coconut flakes
2 cups pecans-not just chopped like at the store but chopped fairly small, smaller than pea size.  (I missed that step because I forgot and my mom's recipe just says chopped)
10 oz maraschino cherries-chop these bad boys up too.  You don't want big chunks of cherry in your candies, just nice little pieces all throughout.  (Yes I know I missed one, and it is pictured above).  Save the juice. 
1 can Eagle Brand milk.  Why?  I don't know that is what my mom said. 
12 oz chocolate chips
1 cake of wax

mix everything together except the chocolate and wax, obviously, then let it chill.  If your filling is a little dry still toss in a LITTLE cherry juice until it looks right.  When I stated I let it chill an hour, but I gave up and went back later.  Just cover it and let it chill overnight.  Make sure you cover it.  Shape into balls.  I don't really have a good method for this, but the colder the filling the easier it is.  Then place these balls in the freezer, cover them, mine have a bit of freezer taste because I didn't.  Leave them in there for at least an hour.  The colder the better, but don't let them get freezer burn.  Melt your chocolate and wax in a double broiler, and prepare for dipping.  I am no longer qualified after this point to help you.  My mom's recipe says use a toothpick and dip in the chocolate.  This did not work for me. 

They really are good, and I really am not in the mood to eat anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment